Monday 30 April 2012

Environmental Portrait - Page 1.



"You will photograph someone in a place that is relevant to that person; it could convey something about their personality or employment. This could be a person of authority, someone who means a lot to you or someone you just find interesting.

This brief focuses on using controlled lighting outside of the studio; this could be flash, constant light, techniques such as light painting or carefully reflected ambient light."



Some ideas of who you could photograph.
  • My sister in her bedroom (12 year-old girl)
  • My Dad in his garden
  • My brother in the gym.
  • My boss, in a kitchen (chef)
  • My grandfather

My main ideas which I had, when I began looking at the question included photographing my family members or even my boss in the work place. My favourite ones out of these five are ; My sister in her bedroom; My grandfather in his room; or I could photograph my boss, who is a chef in a large cafe.


Research
Surprisingly there are a number of photographers who photograph people in their own environment, which I was not aware of. 


August Sander
Sander is known for his environmental portraits, which are historic in the world of photography.


"He gave a controlled and intentional hint at the origin and profession of the sitter through the background or through clothes, hairstyle and gesture."





They are classic photographs which have a very vague essence of the environment of the person being photographed. Sander's work is a reinsurance that an environmental portrait does not have to be obvious.  I chose to look at Sanders work because he is a classic example, and is defiantly a photographer which is worth looking at. He is, in my opinion, more of a documentary photographer nowadays, keeping a record of the way of 'man.' Which could be an interesting aspect which should be considered when capturing your work.




Arnold Newman




Arnold Newman is another very well know Environmental photographer. Most of his work shows a person, mainly artists, with an object that represents what they do. such as the example above, which is a portrait of Igor Stravinsky, a pianist from the year 1946. Newman, who's work is similar to that of Sander's, shows very simply their subjects environment.
"Newman found his vision in the empathy he felt for artists and their work. Although he photographed many personalities — Marlene Dietrich,John F. KennedyHarry S. TrumanPiet MondrianPablo PicassoArthur MillerMarilyn MonroeRonald ReaganMickey Mantle, andAudrey Hepburn he maintained that even if the subject is not known, or is already forgotten, the photograph itself must still excite and interest the viewer."




Mary Ellen Mark


A lesser known environmental photographer, who's work I found very interesting, was that of Mary Ellen Mark.

Mary Ellen Mark is a fairly more modern environmental photographer, with an old fashioned approach. She is photojournalist who's work does appear as an accidental environmental shot. They are photographers of people in their own environment, simply enough. Out of all three of the photographers I feel that Mary Ellen Mark's is my favourite, with her accidental approach, it is simple but very effective. 



No comments:

Post a Comment